Sunday, November 21, 2010

Weekend and Evening National Hotline for LGBT

Before I continue this post, I should pose this question to the MoHos who might happen to stumble upon my blog. Is there a LGBT hotline that is accessible at night and on weekends?

Currently, you can only call between 4:00-9:00 pm  EST. That means that the truly desperate who need to vent to someone in California have until 6:00 pm to make that call. Depression and desperation usually take place a little later at night than that, don't you think? It's at night and in the evenings that can be the most difficult and lonely. Is there another number that is accessible 24 hours a day that I'm not aware of?

If there is not a different number, I'm interested in looking into starting a fundraiser that would enable this hotline to stay open during the hours that I feel people most need it during the holidays. I have no idea how to go about doing such a thing, but I have been a part of grass roots organizations and political campaigns so I have gained some experience that could help. I feel I have what it takes to start this ball rolling, if someone could just give me some contact information and point me in the right direction. I would also like to gather a team of people to help start this cause with me. Either that or we could work together with our state and national representatives for funds for a hotline with better hours. Only 5 hours a day is not very many, in light of how many gay people take their lives. What if one of them had tried to call that number first, only to hear that recording?

The National Counseling Service pays for the current hotline to be open during its now working hours. Maybe we could start a campaign to get the LGBT community to write letters, send emails and make phone calls to this group to voice our opinion that the hours of operation should be extended. Those of us who feel this is an important service could donate.

Who wants to join forces with me or lead me in the right direction to help make this positive change? Any takers?

1 comment:

  1. This is a cool idea. I do not know how you would get started in this direction. Have you been able to go about getting anything started? As I live in Canada I do not reckon that there is much which I can do to support your efforts other to say that I do support them, and maybe when I move to the states I can hop on board and help out. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete